Thursday, March 26, 2009

Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage

I know, St. Patricks day is over and I'm a few days late. But it only just occurred to me to make Corned Beef and Cabbage. I remember when I a kid my Mother would make it all the time. I could tolerate the Corned Beef, just barely, and really liked the cabbage. But that was about it.

Truth be told, the REAL reason I'm making this is because one thing I do like is corned beef hash for breakfast, but all I've ever had is out of a can, looks like dog food and I don't buy it often because of that. So, as soon as I've had a couple of dinners of Corned Beef, cabbage, and vegetables, I'm going to have some homemade corned beef hash. Here we go:


1 corned beef brisket with spices
15 whole cloves
3 small cans apple juice
enough water to cover the brisket in the slow cooker with 1 inch of water
10 small white potatoes or two cans white potatoes
2 medium carrots
1 head of cabbage
2 tablespoons brown mustard
1 tablespoon brown sugar


Rinse corned beef thoroughly and place in slow cooker (fat side up). Push cloves into brisket over the top. Sprinkle with seasoning packet. Add apple juice and water. (1 inch over brisket) Cook on low for 3 hours.

Ppeel and cut carrots into 1 inch pieces and add to liquid in the slow cooker. Add the potatoes. Slice cabbage into wedges and arrange around the brisket and cook for 7 more hours.

Remove brisket to a cutting board and scrape off layer of fat thoroughly. Mix two tablespoons of brown mustard with one tablespoon of brown sugar and spread over the top of the brisket.

Place under broiler just until it begins to brown. Remove and let rest for 10 minutes. Slice across the grain into thin slices and serve with vegetables from slow cooker.

Enjoy!


2 comments:

dp said...

Truth be told, I'm not big on corned beef either, but I do love me some corned beef hash with a nice over easy egg and a liberal sprinkling of Tabasco and maybe a squirt a ketchup. I could eat that every morning. Please don't judge :-)

Coby said...

Oh I love corned beef very much! Lately I haven't found any with a decent layer of fat - yours has that:):) I have cooked corned beef for years, but never yet made corned beef hash. Must give it a go!